Become an Emergency Medical Technician
Now Available: Pennsylvania CareerLink financial support. Specific requirements apply. Please click here for further details or call (724) 755-2330.
Prepare to be an EMT! The Emergency Medical Technician course will develop competencies in the following skills:
- Bag-valve-mask ventilation of an apneic patient
- Bleeding control/shock management
- Cardiac arrest management/AED
- Joint dislocation immobilization
- Long bone fracture immobilization
- Mouth-to-mouth ventilation with supplemental oxygen
- Patient assessment/management of a trauma patient and a medical patient
- Spinal immobilization (both seated and supine patient)
- Supplemental oxygen administration to a breathing patient
- Traction splinting
- Upper airway adjuncts and suction
The curriculum follows the new National EMS Education Standards. Upon successful completion of the course, you may be eligible to take the state certification exam and the National Registry Exam (Registry exam fees not included).
$500 plus $30 lab fee and required textbook.
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Possess the physical and mental abilities as defined by the Pennsylvania Department of Health Function Job Description.
- Complete 10 patient contact experiences.
- All patient contact requirements are at applicant's expense. Westmoreland reserves the right to cancel a class due to insufficient enrollment.
- Additional requirements may be required for EMS preceptors. Precepting at hospitals, will require addition requirements. All additional requirements are the responsibility of the students expense to meet.
- All procedures and requirements will be explained the first night of class.
- Complete an American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers course. This requirement is offered as a part of the course.
- Complete PA State Fire Academy-approved Hazardous Materials Awareness course. This requirement is offered as a part of the course.
- Obtain certification for ICS 100 and NIMS 700. This requirement is not part of the course curriculum and must be obtained outside of class. It is available online for free.
- MEDX 1880-78
- Tuesdays & Thursdays, 6-10 p.m. and some Saturdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., March 3 through June 23, 2020
- Tuesday, May 19, 6-10 p.m. Hazardous Materials Awareness course
- Spring Detailed Schedule
- Registration Deadline: February 19
- MEDX 1880-79
- Mondays & Wednesdays 5:30-10 p.m. and Saturdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., June 1 through August 17, 2020
- Monday, July 20, 6-10 p.m. Hazardous Materials Awareness course
- Summer Detailed Schedule
- Registration Deadline: May 18
- MEDX 1880-78
- Tuesdays & Thursdays 6-10 p.m. and some Saturdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., September 15 through January 14, 2021
- Tuesday, December 1, 6-10 p.m. Hazardous Materials Awareness course
- Fall Detailed Schedule
- Registration Deadline: September 1
To register, call telephone registration at 724-925-4204 or complete this online form.