TRIO at Westmoreland County Community College
TRIO is a federally funded support program that strives to help students succeed in college, continue to enroll in courses and either graduate or transfer to a senior institution. Its goal is to provide support, encourage excellence and help students achieve academic success!
TRIO is located at the Youngwood campus in the Student Achievement Center (SAC), Room 360.
How to Apply
Interested in becoming a TRIO participant? Click here to complete the TRIO Application.
Once the TRIO staff receive your form, we will determine if you are eligible to become a participant in TRIO. If you meet the eligibility requirements, the TRIO office will contact you through your Westmoreland email or by phone.
To be eligible for services through TRIO, students must demonstrate academic need and meet one of the following criteria:
- Be a first-generation college student (neither parent(s) earned a 4-year degree)
- Low income (individual whose family's taxable income for the preceding year did not exceed 150 percent of the poverty level amount)
- Have a disability
TRIO counselors assist students in reaching their goals through academic and career counseling, and also support students through concerns, obstacles and crises by providing personal and crisis counseling.
TRIO students can participate, at no cost, in cultural activities both off and on campus to places such as The Pittsburgh Zoo, The Aviary, Carnegie Science Center, Falling Water, Lauren Caverns and more!
Financial Aid Guidance
Your TRIO counselor can help you make sense of your Financial Aid award such as answering questions, directing you to the correct forms, helping you apply for scholarships or getting you in contact with the Financial Aid Office.
Midterm Progress Report
TRIO students receive a midterm progress report that details progress in each class. Instructors have the opportunity to make comments to further support student success. Reports are issued in the Fall and Spring.
TRIO offers free school supplies such as notebook paper, binders, pens, pencils, flash drives and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does TRIO cost anything or take up a lot of time?
- No! TRIO is free for eligible students and does not add more work to your plate. We encourage you to get involved by attending events, trips or workshops, but there are no requirements.
Does TRIO support students at the Educational Centers or fully online students?
- Yes! TRIO supports online and Center location students. TRIO visits Centers each semester and can arrange an appointment when visiting your center.
Does having an assigned counselor mean you have to participate in therapy?
- No! TRIO counselors are available to assist students in reaching their academic and career goals. Personal and crisis counseling is available to TRIO students who are interested.
I am eligible, but don't know if I need extra support.
- As a Westmoreland student, this is an exciting new chapter in your life. Sometimes there are unexpected challenges and obstacles as a student that can be overwhelming. The benefit of joining TRIO is having one person assigned to you who can quickly help you with all things related to your education. TRIO students receive individualized assistance with all things related to their education such as weekly emails, newsletters, school supplies, progress reports and more.
I applied to TRIO but am not eligible. What happens next?
- TRIO students who are not eligible will be referred to their academic advisor or other support programs or resources.