RSVP Has Something For Everyone
RSVP offers meaningful, exciting opportunities for individuals age 55 and older to give back to the community and to help neighbors in need.
Our volunteers share their lifetime experience and skills on behalf of hundreds of worthy organizations including schools, hospitals, meals on wheels, health insurance counseling and tax assistance.
RSVP places more than 1,200 volunteers throughout Westmoreland County, enabling them to serve their community with fulfilling work that matches their personal interests and available hours.
RSVP is a program of Americorps Seniors, which is a network of programs that help older Americans find opportunities to address community needs through service. Locally, the Retired & Senior Volunteer Program of Westmoreland County is sponsored by Westmoreland County Community College.
How does RSVP work?
RSVP staff interviews individuals interested in volunteering to find the work that best matches their interests, skills, and favorite activities. RSVP seeks to provide the most meaningful, rewarding, and varied volunteer opportunities possible.
There are a wide range of volunteer opportunities available to choose from as well as, time commitments. They range from weekly or monthly assignments, working with agencies on specific projects to occasionally working with a program on a special project. There is no time requirement to volunteer through RSVP.
- Volunteer placement
- Supplemental accident and liability insurance
- Annual recognition luncheon
- Free meal and parking from qualifying volunteer sites
- Satisfaction of making a difference in the community
Why Should I Volunteer?
- Volunteering is the perfect opportunity to learn something new
- Can help you in making the transition from the 9-5 work week
- Does not require previous volunteering experience
- Offers the opportunity to meet new and interesting people
- Offers a wide range of assignments and time commitments
Historical Society - Ligonier and Greensburg
- Tour guides needed May through December
- Help in Gift Shop (few hrs. ok)
- Help with special events at Historical Society
- Garden help – any assistance
- Volunteer to visit clients in their home or nursing home
- Sewing – make stuffed Memory Bears, activity blankets from home
- Make calls from home
Warehouse Help - Mt. Pleasant/Greensburg
- Organizing donations/pricing items
- Checking appliances, etc.
- Volunteers to visit local nursing homes once a month
- Do you want to “exercise” your brain? After you are trained in Medicare basics, you will help answer Medicare beneficiaries questions
Animal Care Shelters
- Care for wild animals in local shelter (typically smaller animals)
- Assist in working/caring with horses used in special needs program
- Act as an advocate for children and their families that are involved in the court system
- Sort and distribute food - typically held once a month (1-2 hrs)
- Front counter assistance, sorting/filing books
- Book sorters needed, used book store help
- ESL tutors needed
Meals on Wheels
- Assist in the kitchen, cooking, packing food. Deliver food (usually done in pairs)
- Collect, sort and label items
The Palace Theatre
- Help direct visitors to their seats, sell concessions, take tickets, and assist with any questions guests may have.
Westmoreland Cultural Trust
- EVENTS COMMITTEE: Focuses on working with staff and other volunteers regarding the planning, organization and implementation of special events, such as TGIS (Thank Goodness It’s Summer) and Party at the Palace.
- FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE: Focuses on creating and developing ways in which to raise money for the organization. This may include developing methods in which to improve current fundraisers such as developing and organizing new fundraisers and/or helping to organize and implement the Annual Membership Drive.
- COMMUNITY AWARENESS: Focuses on educating the public with regard to the goals of the Westmoreland Cultural Trust by communicating the mission throughout Westmoreland and surrounding counties through either networking, public relations, or making presentations on behalf of the Westmoreland Cultural Trust.
Ready to Become a Volunteer?
Contact William Magda at 724-925-4213 or magdawFREEWESTMORELAND and complete the volunteer application.
Rights and Responsibilities
It is your right...
- To receive the orientation, training and supervision necessary to do the job.
- To feel that your efforts have real purpose and contribute to the organization's mission.
- To receive feedback and evaluation on the work that you perform.
- To be treated with respect and as an equal partner within the organization.
- To be trusted with confidential information necessary to carry out your assignment.
- To be kept informed on relevant matters within the organization you work with.
- To expect that your time will not be wasted by poor planning or coordination by the organization.
- To be covered under the organization's liability policy for volunteers in the event of an accident.
It is your responsibility...
- Not to take on more responsibility than you can handle
- To meet time commitments or to provide appropriate notice so alternative arrangements can be made.
- To perform the tasks assigned to you to the best of your ability.
- To provide input on ways your tasks might be better performed.
- To follow organizational policies and procedures.
- To respect those confidences entrusted to you.
- To be open-minded and respectful towards opinions shared with you.
- To notify the organization in advance of absences or schedule changes that may affect them.
Let RSVP know...
It is very important that RSVP knows how much time you spend volunteering in the community because the federal government requires us to keep track of your time spent volunteering as a means of assessing our performance.
It provides information to our legislators about the types of volunteer work and number of hours served.
It helps RSVP promote seniors as active contributing members of the community.
It indicates that you are an active RSVP volunteer and thus allows you to participate in RSVP recognition events, and receive all the volunteer benefits.