Right to Know
Pennsylvania's Right to Know Law took effect January 1, 2009. The law concerns public access to records at public institutions and government agencies. The law places the burden of proof on the institution or agency to show why a record should not be released.
The law does not overrule existing laws such as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) that limit access to certain records. In addition, 31 categories of records are exempt under the law.
Before submitting a request, please note:
- Requests must be in writing via either hard copy or email. Submit a request online via email below.
- Requests for information must be specific as to the record(s) desired. A reason for the request is not required.
- Request must be submitted to the Right to Know Officer:
- Michelle Foster, interim director/Human Resources
- Mailing Address: 145 Pavilion Lane, Youngwood, PA 15697
- Email: righttoknowFREEWESTMORELAND
- Telephone: 724.925.4079
- A response to the request will be issued within five (5) business days from the time it was received by the Open Records Officer.
- The requester may be charged duplication and postage fees in keeping with the standards set by the Office of Open Records. Prepayment may be required if fees are expected to exceed $100.
For more information about the new Right to Know Law, visit https://openrecords.state.pa.us
Online Request Form
(Interim) Director/Human Resources
Westmoreland County Community College
If the requestor wishes to pursue the relief and remedies provided for in this Act, the request must be in writing. (Section 702.) Written requests need not include an explanation why information is sought or the intended use of the information unless otherwise required by law (Section 703).
The Commonwealth Office of Open Records
Commonwealth Keystone Building
400 North Street, Plaza Level
Harrisburg, PA 17120-0225