Applying for Financial Aid
Our financial aid team is focused on helping each student achieve their dream. We want our students to feel confident about applying for aid. The process can feel intimidating at first, but by completing the financial aid forms, you can find out what type of financial aid assistance might be available.
Below, we outline the steps to apply for aid and highlight important dates. Examine the steps and mark the dates on your calendar. We want this to be as easy as possible so feel free to get started today!
How to Apply: Your Financial Aid Checklist
Here’s what to do, when to do it and what to expect along the way:
- Apply to Westmoreland County Community College
- Apply for your FSA ID (your parent, if you are considered dependent)
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Don’t forget to use the Westmoreland County Community College’s code - 010176
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) to make sure all of the information is correct. If you provided your email address on the FAFSA, you will receive an email with a link to your Student Aid Report. Update any data, if necessary, on the FAFSA website
- Check the MyWestmoreland portal to determine if additional documents are required.
- Go to Self-Service Menu, WebAdvisor for Students and then to Financial Aid.
- My Documents will track receipt of the FAFSA application. It also shows if students need to submit additional documents to the Financial Aid office in order to finalize their financial aid.
- Submit tax return transcripts, corrections and any other requested documentation to the Financial Aid Office in a timely manner to ensure that you are awarded prior to the start of the term.
- After you submit all required information/documentation to the Financial Aid office, a financial aid counselor reviews your application material. Make sure you monitor your Westmoreland student email for any direct contact from the financial aid counselor or notification of a financial aid award letter.
- Review your financial aid award letter in its entirety and see your award package on the MyWestmoreland portal. You can also accept or reject your loans. Learn more about receiving aid
- Your financial aid is disbursed to pay all or part of your school charges. The Financial Aid office will authorize your disbursement after verification of enrolled credits.
How long does all of this take? It’s up to you! Apply early and submit all information immediately to complete your application. Don't forget to check the MyWestmoreland student portal regularly to see the current status of your financial aid.