A Foundation for Students Interested in Health Professions
The Health Science AS provides the foundation necessary to prepare students for admission to a Health Professions program at Westmoreland or to transfer to a health science or health professions program at a four-year institution to pursue a career in a health-related field requiring a bachelor’s or higher degree.
The curriculum provides students with a balance of mathematics, science, humanities, English, social sciences and computer skills relevant to employment in health care professions or health-related fields.
What Will I Learn?
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be
- Identify anatomical structures and explain the physiological
aspects and functions of the human body
- Demonstrate the use of scientific and mathematical
reasoning in the critical analysis and evaluation of problems
and the development of research-based solutions
- Discuss the mental processes and behaviors associated with
- Demonstrate mastery of vocabulary and appropriate
terminology to understand and effectively communicate
information related to anatomy and physiology
- Demonstrate basic understanding of pharmacology and its
use in the treatment of a variety of health conditions
- Discuss nutrition in the context of body function, lifespan,
social, economic and psychological implications