2018-2019 Verification Information
Verification is Required by the Department of Education
The Department of Education randomly selects at least 30% of all college students who submit a FAFSA for the verification process, and publishes the Federal Register outlining required documentation needed from students to compare the information reported on the FAFSA.
The Financial Aid Office notifies students via Westmoreland Email and/or your student portal if
(1) You are selected for verification, (2) the Financial Aid Office needs additional information,
(3) the Financial Aid Office makes FAFSA corrections, or (4) any award offer changes.
Processing time increases significantly during peak periods (June, July and August). Processing time is typically 10 – 14 business days, but may exceed 14 business days during peak processing times.
2018-2019 Dependent and Independent Student Requirements
- Verification Form
- Select the appropriate form as indicated in your student portal. Access Missing Documents to identify forms needed, and complete the form electronically. If required, 'Verification of Identity and Educational Purpose' and 'Affidavit of Citizenship/Immigration Documentation Originality' forms must be printed, completed, and submitted to the Financial Aid Office.
- 2016 Tax Return Transcript
- Student and/or spouse, if married
- Parent(s), if parental information was required when completing the FAFSA
- 2016 W-2’s and/or 1099 forms
- Required if employed/worked but did not and will not file a 2016 Tax Return
- Verification of Non-Filing
- Independent students who indicate they were not required to file a 2016 Tax Return must request an IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter from the IRS and submit to the Financial Aid Office.
- Dependent students who did not file are not required to supply this letter for themselves.
- Parents of dependent students who indicate they were not required to file a 2016 Tax Return must request an IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter from the IRS and submit to the Financial Aid Office.
- Verification of Non-filing Letter must be dated on or after October 1, 2017.
- Other Documentation if requested
IMPORTANT NOTE: Frequently check your Westmoreland email and your Student Portal for notification of additional needed documentation.
IRS and the Verification of Income
Married but filed separate 2016 tax returns OR parents are unmarried but living together
If you filed a foreign Tax Return from the Freely Associated States (Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Palau and the Federated States of Micronesia), the Financial Aid Office will need a copy of the individual’s Wage and Tax Statement from each employer