Any person applying for the Municipal Police Officers’ Training Academy must adhere to the following to be considered for admission:
- Be 18 years of age when applying to the police academy (disregard 21 years in cadet handbook). There is no maximum age restriction.
- Be of good moral character and, under oath, attest that he/she has no prior criminal record.
- Complete and submit an application, including Release of Information and Certification and the Oath of Applicant, before the advertised deadline.
- Submit a letter of reference from a chief of police, a law enforcement officer, a Magisterial District Judge, or an elected official who has jurisdiction in the municipality in which the applicant resides.
- Provide a current photo identification and/or driver's license.
- Provide proof of high school graduation or GED certificate.
- Submit college transcript, if applicable.
- Obtain and submit (before deadline) a physical examination, at applicant's expense, by a PA licensed physician, certified nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant. (See Forms section below)
Obtain scores in the 30th percentile in the Physical Fitness Tests (One-minute sit-up test, One-repetition maximum bench press, 1.5 mile run and 300-meter run).
Obtain and submit (before the deadline) a psychological examination, at applicant's expense, including the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist. (See Form section below)
Take the Nelson-Denny Reading Examination.
Submit to a criminal history check and background investigation.
- Vision requirements for a municipal police officer are: a visual acuity of at least 20/70, uncorrected in the stronger eye, correctable to at least 20/20; and at least 20/200, uncorrected in the weaker eye, correctable to at least 20/40. Normal depth and color perception are also required. Applicants have had great success with Lasik Eye Surgery.
- The physical form must be dated no earlier than six (6) months prior to the first class session.
- The physical must be submitted before participating in the physical fitness screening evaluations.
Complete, if requested, an oral interview with the Academy Director and Lead Instructor.
Submit a copy of military discharge (DD-214), if applicable, and F.B.I. background check
If you are already a sworn municipal police officer, present written authorization from the commissioner, Pennsylvania State Police, showing approval of enrollment.
- Any conviction graded misdemeanor of the 2nd degree or higher is grounds for automatic disqualification.
- No applicant will be considered while under parole or probation, whatever the offense, including sentences of ARD (Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition) nor will an applicant be considered within one year of completing ARD probation.
Physical Fitness Test
Following receipt of completed applications, applicants will be scheduled for the physical fitness test.
NOTE: Nearly 50% of the applicants to the police academy fail the entrance physical fitness examination. If you are interested in attending the Westmoreland County Community College Police Academy, start now to improve your health and fitness. Suggestions on improving your fitness may be found by clicking here.
Nelson-Denny Reading Examination
After successful completion of the physical fitness test, applicants will be scheduled to take the Nelson-Denny Reading Examination.
Acceptance into the academy is contingent upon successful completion of every process described above. Representatives of the academy staff determine final acceptance after reviewing all available information. Westmoreland reserves the right to reject any applicant who fails to comply with all the standards established above or who fails to fully cooperate in any of the screening processes.