Earn early childhood education course credits or acquire training hours required by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (DHS)
Early Childhood Professional Development courses are offered for early childhood educators currently working in childcare through the Southwest Regional Key of the PA Office of Child Development. Each three-hour workshop qualifies for three hours of the Pennsylvania DHS training requirement. You may take one course or the entire series.
This is an excellent opportunity for you to earn college credits that can be applied toward an associate degree in Education/Pre-K-Grade 4 at Westmoreland.
CLICK HERE for spring 2018 Schedule
The cost of each individual course is $14 which is paid at the time of registration on the PD Registry.
The cost of taking an entire professional development series for three college credits is $210. If payment is not made at the time of registration, you may be withdrawn from the course. It is highly recommended to apply for tuition assistance from the Rising STARS Tuition Assistance Program and T.E.A.C.H. offered by the PA Keys, if you qualify. More information can be found at www.pakeys.org.
How to Register
Decide carefully whether to register for an entire course series or individual courses. It is not possible to take the three-credit course series after week two.
To enroll in any of the ECE courses for three college credits:
- Apply for tuition assistance (see above)
- The three college credit courses are NOT listed on the PD Registry. Go to the “Apply Now” button at the top of this page if you have not taken a credit class before.
- Select Education/Pre-K-Grade 4, Associate of Applied science (AAS) as your major.
- Call 1-800-262-2103. Ext. 4204, and give the course code.
- Once registered, remit amount due to Westmoreland County Community College, Accounts Receivable, 145 Pavilion Lane, Youngwood, PA 15697 (Amount due depends upon tuition assistance from Rising Stars Tuition Assistance program and T.E.A.C.H. if eligible.)
To take an individual ECE professional development course for required Pennsylvania DHS training hours:
- Registration is done directly through www.pakeys.org
- Log in, click on PD Registry, then course catalog.
- Type WCCC in search box to view the courses offered at Westmoreland County Community College.
- Make your selection from the professional development courses currently offered.
- Register and pay $14 per course directly on the PA Keys website (credit card required).
- All participants must have a registry ID number prior to attending courses.
- All participants taking courses for three college credits must register through Westmoreland.
- No walk-ins will be admitted.
- Act 48 credit is available.
- The professional development series taken for college credit are not transferrable to 4-year institutions, but can be applied to an AAS degree at Westmoreland.
- These courses are designed for early childhood educators presently working in the field. Students who are already enrolled in the Education/Pre-K-Grade-4 program are not eligible to enroll in courses with the KU course code.
For more information, contact Vicki Hricik at firstname.lastname@example.org
These are Needs-Based Funded courses through the PA Office of Child Development/Southwest Regional Key. All courses qualify to meet the required six hours of training per year as mandated by DHS regulations. For additional information regarding professional development, refer to www.pakeys.org.