Withdrawal from Courses

Withdrawal Policy

Students start the course withdrawal process after they have talked with their instructor and/or their advisor or counselor. The withdrawal period begins at the end of the drop period, which is typically after the third week of class (or the 20% point of the course).

Between the 20% and 60% point of the course, a student may withdraw by completing a Student Withdrawal RequestAn official 'W' (withdrawal) grade will be noted on the transcript. After 60% of the course is completed but before the 90% point, a student must secure the instructor's permission for withdrawal from the course. After 90% of the course, students may not withdraw from the course, with the exception of excused withdrawals.

For an excused withdrawal, such as a medical withdrawal or a withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances, a student may request a withdrawal at any point in the semester with supporting documentation. The director of Student Success, director of Admissions and registrar or dean must review the documentation and provide a recommendation to the appropriate vice president.

Points of Consideration

  • The student is responsible for initiating and completing the withdrawal process.
  • If a student does not want to remain in a class, they must follow the official withdrawal process.
  • Failure to officialy withdraw will result in a financial obilcation to the college, regardless of the student's class attendance. The student is responsible for their financial obligations despite:
    • Not receiving financial aid
    • Not attending class
    • Not fulfilling payment plan obligations
    • Receiving a notice that they will be dropped from classes due to nonpayment
    • On vacation, out of the country or otherwise away from the college's physical site
    • Not receiving a bill in the mail
    • Method by which the student registered for classes
    • Not paying their bill
  • It is highly recommended and encouraged that the student communicates with their instructors prior to withdrawing from a course
  • For institutional purposes, the day the student initiates the withdrawal will be the date that is entered as withdrawing

A partial or total withdrawal by a student receiving a Pell, SEOG, Work Study or student/parent Direct Loans may affect the student's Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standing. Please review the Financial Aid SAP policy for information.

Additionally, the student may be subject to a Return to Title IV calculation. Students who receive failing or incomplete grades may also be subject to this calculation. In some cases, calculation results in a charge back of Title IV (federal) financial aid for which the student is responsible. When the Return to Title IV calculation results in a charge back of Title IV financial aid, the student will receive a letter to their home address indicating the amount charged back, the current account balance and the student's option for repayment. The Financial Aid Office can answer questions about Return to Title IV calculations.

Student Withdrawal Process

If a student stops attending class, they are still enrolled in the class. Non-attendance and non-payment do not withdraw a student from a course.

Before You Withdraw:

  • We recommend that you contact your instructor, advisor or an academic counselor before withdrawing from a course. They may be able to suggest alternatives to withdrawing that could aid in your success.
  • If you are receiving financial aid, please review the financial aid withdrawal policy and the financial aid warning/suspension policy or speak with a financial aid coordinator to learn how this may affect your financial aid eligibility.
  • If you drop a course and then register for the same course that starts on a later date, your student account will be charged for both courses if you do not drop by the tuition refund deadline.
  • Please review the Refund Policy to determine the official starting date of your course(s).

Steps to Withdrawal

  1. After talking with your instructor about the withdrawal from the course, obtain a copy of the Student Withdrawal Request here or from your advisor or Student Services.
  2. Complete the form using your demographic information, Section 1, and course information, Section 2.
  3. If it is after the 60% point and before the 89% point in the course (refer to academic calendar for dates), secure instructor's permission.
  4. Return to Registrar's Office, Student Services.

You will receive a grade of 'W' on your academic record. Withdrawing will not affect your GPA, but a 'W' will remain on your permanent record.

The instructor may choose not to approve your withdrawl between the 60% and 89% point of the course. In this case, you will receive the grade earned in the class on your permanent record.

Your withdrawal requuest date and your last date of attendance will be recorded as the day you receive the withdrawal form from the Admissions/Registrar's Office.

What Happens If I Don't Follow The Official Withdrawal Process?

  • You will not be considered as official withdrawan from the course.
  • You forfeit your right to a refund and will receive a final grade in each course in which you are enrolled.