What is it? The College Now! program allows qualified high school juniors and seniors to engage in post-secondary courses and/or credentialing while simultaneously completing their high school requirements for graduation. The program enhances confidence and capabilities and enables students to challenge themselves to be career and college-ready.
How can I get involved? College Now! offers three different ways to get started:
- Early College - allows students to take college classes at the Youngwood campus or a Westmoreland center
- High School Academies - allows students to take a career or college track within their chosen Career Pathway. Courses are offered in scheduling blocks that fit alongside students’ high school courses. Students take classes at either the Advanced Technology Center or the Youngwood campus.
These programs give high school and home school students opportunities to earn college credits for courses taken at Westmoreland while still attending high school. Students will be enrolled in both the high school and Westmoreland County Community College.
In 2017, five ambitious high school seniors earned associate degrees at Westmoreland through College Now prior to high school graduation.
“It was just enough extra work, but it was manageable.”
--Emma Frey, earned AA through College Now!
“It was a great experience."
--Kailee Lear, earned AA through College Now!
“It gave me the opportunity to see what college courses were like."
--Sheldon Kiser, earned AA through College Now!
Benefits of College Now!
- Students are better prepared for college by experiencing college academics early
- Credits earned may transfer to four-year colleges and universities
- Career-ready students can earn certificates and stackable credentials
- Industry certifications may mean pay increases in less time for career-ready students
- Students can earn a college degree in less time and at a lower cost