Veterans Information

Veteran and GI Bill Benefits

For Chapters 30, 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill),1606 and 1607 if you have not applied for Veterans education benefits you will need to do so by completing VA Form 22-1990 which can be done online. To apply, visit

For Chapter 35 you will need to complete VA Form 22-5490 which can also be done online.

For Chapter 31 the application students must fill out is VA Form 22-1900. However, it is advised they call the VA rehabilitation counselor first. To learn more about or apply for Chapter 31 benefits in Pennsylvania, call the following number 1-800-827-1000.

Certification of Enrollment

For all chapter benefits, the certifying official must notify the DVA of your enrollment each semester. It is your responsibility to contact the Financial Aid office at which time you are fully registered for a term. Your enrollment will be certified with the Certifying Officer shortly thereafter. The VA Certifying Official is located in the Office of Financial Aid.

What documents should be provided to Westmoreland’s VA Certifying Official?

  • DD-214 Member 4 Copy (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty). Please turn this document in to the Financial Aid.
  • Copy of official transcripts from all previous colleges and military transcripts (if applicable) should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
  • Copy of Kicker Program documentation (if applicable).
  • Notice of basic eligibility (NOBE) if you are in the Reserves.
  • Certificate of Eligibility (you will receive this from the Buffalo, NY Regional VA office once a determination on your eligibility is made). Prior to receiving your COE you may submit a copy of the screen showing your eligibility as listed from on your eBenefits and WAVE Benefits page.
  • Copy of Schools VA Enrollment Form. (Veteran's Request for Certification)

Veterans receiving VA benefits may select any program that is approved by the Department of Veteran Affairs leading to a degree offered at Westmoreland County Community College. Check with the VA Certifying Official if your program is approved by the VA before registering for classes.

Chapter 30 (Veterans GI Bill)

Educational assistance program available to fully honorably discharged veterans who meet the eligibility criteria explained in detail on the Department of Veterans Affairs website:

Chapter 33 (The Post 9/11 GI Bill)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 aggregate days on active duty (AD) service on or after September 11, 2001, and are still on AD or were honorably discharged. Individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. More eligibility information on The Post 9/11 GI Bill is provided on the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Chapter 1606 (Reserves/National Guard)

This program may be available if you are a member of a selected reserve and/or National Guard. More eligibility information on Chapter 1606 is provided at

Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Chapter 35 (Survivor's and Dependents Educational Assistance program DEA)

The spouse, child, stepchild or adopted child of a veteran who is deceased (service-connected) or who is 100% disabled (service-connected) may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits. Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)

Any veteran receiving at least 10% permanent, service-connected disability from the DVA can apply for this benefit. Approval is made on a case-by-case basis and is managed at the state level. To learn more about or apply for Chapter 31 benefits in NYS, call 1-800-827-1000.

Monthly Enrollment Verification

Each month that you qualify for benefits, you must contact the DVA for enrollment certification. This should be done on the last day of each month, online at Follow the WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) link to complete electronic certification or via phone at 1-877-823-2378. If your enrollment certification has been submitted and you would like to check on the status of your payment, you can call the regional office at 1-888-442-4551.


  • It is your responsibility to notify the VA certifying official when withdrawing, adding, or making any changes to your schedule. You can stop at our office and bring a copy of your official withdrawal showing the date(s) of withdrawal.
  • Chapter 33 (The Post 9/11 GI Bill). The veteran is responsible for any overpayment incurred as a result of not completing courses. In the event a veteran does not complete a course, schools should follow their established student refund policy. VA will work with student to resolve overpayment.

Transfer of Benefits

Students who had been receiving veteran's benefits at another college must complete a Change Program/Place of Training form (VA form 22-1995) for Veterans, Servicepersons, & Members of the Selected Reserve or (VA form 22-5495) for Survivors' & Dependents' Education Assistance to receive benefits at your place of training. These forms can be completed online at . A copy of this form needs to be sent to the VA Certifying official at Westmoreland County Community College.

Continuing Students

Continuing Students are asked to complete the Request for Certification once registration has concluded for each semester (Fall, Spring and Summer semesters).

Have questions?

Class Attendance

IMPORTANT: The VA requires veterans receiving benefits to attend all scheduled class meetings. Failure to do so may result in the loss of benefits and pay back of veterans benefits already received for the semester in question.

VA Standards of Progress:

Student receiving GI Bill benefits must meet the Standards of Academic Progress as defined in the Westmoreland student handbook. The college maintains the same SAP policy for recipients of Federal Financial Aid and GI Bill Benefits.

Veterans’ Services will not pay educational benefits if one of the following should occur:

  • The veteran registers for classes that are not specified as necessary for the declared program of study. Depending on circumstances, deficiency or remedial courses may be certified for benefits.
  • The veteran fails to submit all previous college transcripts for evaluation.
  • The veteran registers for two or more courses and receives “F” (Fail), “NC” (No Credit) or “IP” (In Progress) grades for all courses for one semester.
  • The veteran fails to convert an “I” (Incomplete) grade to a letter grade within one year from receipt of the “I” grade.
  • The veteran fails to attend class for the semester for which VA benefits are received.
  • The veteran fails to achieve the minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for two consecutive semesters or sessions.

Entitlement to Benefits

This school certifies your enrollment status, programs and academic progress. All questions concerning payment are to be referred to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or electronically at: You may be required to create an account.


The first check should arrive SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS after the first day of classes or later if the veteran should apply for certification after classes begin. Make sure that you register for your courses on time to ensure prompt certification of your enrollment. Remember to register in courses according to your educational plan.

Information about qualifying pay rates and payment dates is available only through direct contact between the student and the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Certifying Official

The Certifying Official is responsible for the accurate and prompt certification of enrollments and changes in enrollment of eligible students to the VA. The certifying official is an employee of the College, not the VA. The certifying official cannot determine eligibility for VA Educational Benefits.

Directory of Agencies

Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.)