What is APPRISE?
APPRISE is the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for Pennsylvanians age 60 and over. The Pennsylvania Department of Aging created APPRISE to help older Pennsylvanians understand their health options under Medicare and make sound decisions about what is best for them.
APPRISE Counselors Can Help You
APPRISE counselors are specially trained volunteers. They can answer your questions about Original Medicare, Medicaid, Medigap, long term care insurance, and preventive care. These counselors have direct access to federal Medicare information and resources. They can:
- Help you understand your Original Medicare benefits by explaining which services are covered under Parts A and B and your Medicare Summary Notice.
- Help you make informed choices about Medicare coverage options.
- Help you understand the Medicare appeals process and assist with appeals paperwork.
- Help you select a Medigap insurance policy by explaining the benefits offered under each plan, and providing you with a list of companies that sell Medigap plans.
- Inform you about eligibility for prescription drug programs and programs that pay Medicare deductable payments, and Part B premiums.
APPRISE is sponsored by Westmoreland County Community College Retired and Senior Volunteer Program and is funded, in part, under a contract with the Westmoreland Board of County Commissioners, Area Agency on Aging and the Pennsylvania Department of Aging and the Administration on Aging.
Medicare 101 - Spring 2019
Smart Driver Course - Spring 2019
Income Tax Assistance