American Heart Association Courses
The AHA has purposely developed instructional material to promote knowledge of and proficiency in CPR. Although these CPR courses are not sponsored by an AHA component, some or all materials utilized by faculty or students may be AHA materials supplied on a cost basis. Any fees charged for these courses do not represent income to the AHA. The AHA requires students to purchase appropriate CPR textbooks prior to class.
- Material fees are subject to change based on a potential increase in course cards.
- Unless otherwise noted, classes are for ages 18 and older
Precourse Requirements for Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Full Course and Renewal
- Complete Precourse Self-Assessment. Access found at https://elearning.heart.org/course/423 (ACLS) or https://elearning.heart.org/course/427 (PALS), bring certificate with you to class. A passing score is 70% or above. You can take the Precourse Self-Assessment as many times as needed to achieve a passing score. (ACLS and PALS)
- Review and understand information in the Provider Manual.
- Review and understand the information in your PALS Provider Manual. Pay attention to the systematic approach to pediatric assessment, the evaluate-identify-intervene sequence and the management of respiratory and circulatory abnormalities. (PALS)
- Be familiar with the PALS algorithms and flowcharts so you can apply them to clinical scenarios. (PALS)
- A current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers CPR card must be presented for admittance to class. (ACLS and PALS)
- A current ACLS or PALS completion card is required for admittance in a renewal class. (ACLS and PALS)
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Designed for health care providers to enhance their skills in the treatment of an adult victim of a cardiac arrest or other cardiopulmonary emergency. You will engage in simulated clinical scenarios that encourage active hands-on participation. See pre course requirements for more information.
- $97 tuition + $13 material fee +required textbook. 1.3 CEUs from Westmoreland, 13
ConEd credits from PA DOH.
- MEDX 0085-01 Wednesday, March 16, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., & Thursday, March 17, August 6, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
- MEDX 0085-02 Tuesday, April 12, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., & Wednesday, April 13, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Renewal
Provides previously trained health care providers a renewal of their ACLS status upon successful completion of written and practical skills. See pre course requirements for more information.
- $61 tuition + $13 material fee + required text .75 CEUs from Westmoreland, 7.5 ConEd credits from PA DOH.
- MEDX 0040-01 Wednesday, March 9, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- MEDX 0040-02 Wednesday, March 23, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- MEDX 0040-03 Monday, April 4, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- MEDX 0040-04 Wednesday, April 20, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- MEDX 0040-05 Monday, April 25, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- MEDX 0040-06 Wednesday, May 4, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- MEDX 0040-07 Wednesday, May 25, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
Utilizing a scenario-based team approach, pediatric health care providers will be taught howto efficiently and effectively manage critically ill infants and children. See pre course requirements for more information. Practical and written evaluations are required.
- $97 tuition + $13 material fee + required text. 1.5 CEUs from Westmoreland, 15 ConEd
credits from PA DOH.
- MEDX 6822-02 Wednesday, April 27, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. & Thursday, April 28, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Renewal
Provides previously trained health care providers a renewal of the PALS status upon successful completion of written and practical skills. See pre course requirements for more information.
- $61 tuition + $13 material fee + required text. .75 CEUs from Westmoreland, 7.5 ConEdcredits from PA DOH.
- MEDX 6823-01 Wednesday, May 18, 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS/HCP) Instructor Course
This course is aimed at experienced persons who have completed the BLS for Healthcare Providers have completed the BLS Essentials course, and who wish to teach the BLS courses.
Discover how to effectively present lecture materials, monitor and coach students, demonstrate accurate CPR skills for adult, child and infant patients, demonstrate manikin maintenance techniques, evaluate written and skills performance, maintain accurate records, and work with a Training Center (TC). You must affiliate with a TC of your choice, be 16 years old, have a current BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR card and purchase an instructor manual. Written testing, hands-on performance and practice lecture required. CPR instructor card is valid for two years. Instructors must teach four classes within two years to remain certified. Prerequisites: Successful completion of the BLS Essentials course, which can be accessed at www.onlineaha.org. You must bring a copy of your certificate of completion of the BLS Essentials course and current BLS for Healthcare Providers card to class.
- $99 tuition + $10 material fee + required textbook, .8 CEUs
- MEDX 1140-10 Saturday, April 23, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS/HCP): Adult/Child/Infant
Designed for health care providers and follows the AHA Guidelines for delivery of CPR for victims of all ages (including ventilation with a barrier device, a bag-mask device and oxygen), use of an AED on adults and children and relief of foreign body airway obstruction (FBAO) in responsive and non-responsive victims. Written testing and hands-on skill performance are required. A course card is awarded upon successful completion.
- $49 tuition + $11 material fee + required text (review of textbook prior to class is required), .475 CEUs
- MEDX 1101-01 Tuesday, March 8, 6-10:45 p.m.
- MEDX 1101-02 Tuesday, April 5, 6-10:45 p.m.
- MEDX 1101-03 Friday, May 13, 9 a.m.-1:45 p.m.
- MEDX 1101-N1 Monday, May 23, 4-8:45 p.m. (Westmoreland-Indiana)
Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS/HCP) Renewal
Renew your basic life support for healthcare providers by reviewing the 2015 AHA Guidelines. You will review the latest adult, child and infant CPR skills for one and two rescuers; practice skill development and foreign-body airway obstructions; the integration of an AED into adult and pediatric CPR and rescue breathing using barrier devices and the bag-valve mask. A current BLS for Health Care Providers CPR card is required for admittance. Written exam and skills evaluation required.
- $39 tuition + $11 material fee + required text (review of textbook prior to class is required), .35 CEUs
- MEDX 1106-01 Tuesday, March 29, 6-9:30 p.m.
- MEDX 1106-02 Tuesday, April 26, 6-9:30 p.m.
- MEDX 1106-03 Tuesday, May 24, 6-9:30 p.m.
- MEDX 1106-N1 Monday, April 25, 4-7:30 p.m. (Westmoreland-Indiana)
Heartsaver CPR AED Adult & Child & Infant CPR
Heartsaver CPR AED is a video-based, instructor-led course that teaches adult and child CPR and AED use, infant CPR, and how to relieve choking in adults, children and infants. This course teaches skills with the AHA’s research-proven practice-while-watching technique, which allows instructors to observe the students, provide feedback and guide the students’ learning of skills. This course is for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in CPR and AED used to meet job, regulatory or other requirements.
- $29 tuition + $25 material fee + required text (review of textbook prior to class
is required), .45 CEUs
- MEDX 1014-01 Thursday, May 26, 6-9:30 p.m.
Heartsaver First Aid: Adult/Child AED & CPR & Infant CPR
The AHA First Aid course incorporates basic first aid skills with adult CPR and automated external defibrillators (AEDs). It is designed for those in the workplace needing OSHA-compliant first aid and CPR training. The course includes instruction on rescuer safety, medical and injury emergencies, adult CPR and the AED and environmental emergencies. Wounds, bleeding, shock, stroke, allergic reactions, joint and muscle injuries, choking, bites and stings, heat and cold emergencies and poisonings are covered. The Heartsaver CPR/First Aid textbook is required. A course card is awarded upon successful completion.
- $55 tuition + $25 material fee + required text (review of textbook prior to class is required), .55 CEUs
- MEDX 3029-01 Friday, March 25, 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Textbooks available at the American Heart Association website:
- The link for ACLS is https://shopcpr.heart.org/courses/acls?aha_product_type=97
- The link for PALS is https://shopcpr.heart.org/courses/pals?aha_product_type=97
- The link for BLS is https://shopcpr.heart.org/courses/bls?aha_product_type=97
- The link for Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED is https://shopcpr.heart.org/all-products?aha_product_type=97&associated_course=111
- The link for Heartsaver CPR/AED is https://shopcpr.heart.org/all-products?aha_product_type=97&associated_course=112
For more information about Health Care and Emergency Services classes, contact the Information Center at 724-925-4000 or email@example.com.